20070513

It feels as if it will never end...

I went on R&R from this place of sand and seemingly "lost hope" to a much better location...Pennsylvania. The time waiting for my leave day eeked by, teasing and taunting me, making a few weeks last an eternity.

The wait was well worth it...

I came off the plane, sweaty and stinking from being in the same uniform for more than three days...only changing the underclothes. The heat of Iraq and Kuwait has no mercy for weak glanded...I sweat profusely. Despite the grime and gringe that soured the air around me, I was greeted at the terminal at my destination by my gorgeous and glowing wife. She darted across the waiting area to enveloped by my arms. I lifted her off the ground and held her as tight as I could...I didn't want to let her go. She showered me in kisses and hugged me tighter than I have ever been hugged before...She acted like she hadn't seen me in 8months or somethin'!!!

I was told later that we actually made some of the people around us in the terminal cry, like they were watching the Notebook. I didn't even notice anyone outside of Cheyenne. She was the only person I saw...the only person that I cared to see...(no offense mom!)

That was the beginning of a great two weeks. A very well deserved break from the every day stress of being in theater.

The day I left was extremely difficult. Not only for Chey, but for me as well. I hated to say goodbye again. I hated to have to see those beautiful blue eyes well up with tears and watch streams roll down her rosy cheeks. Her lower lip quiver...not even my touch was able to soothe her. Gently caressing her cheek, telling her that it was okay-"It's only 3 1/2 months", I said,"like ma said you can do that on yer head." I know I said that cause I had to eat those words as soon as I walked through the doors of the hospital.

"We're being extended."

Those were the words I was welcomed with as I walked up the stairs to where I work..."welcome back, sorry for the bad news." I wish I would have known that information before I went on leave. It would have put a different perspective on things...wedding plans mainly.

So, a few months longer than expected Babygirl...I know I said 3 1/2 months. I take it back. But there are a couple positives that I will preach to you to make it easier to swallow. (We'll talk!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can be mad, I can throw a fit, I can cry my blue eyes out all I want, but It's not going to make a difference is it? All I can do is Love you even more and support you, be your wife, and wait. Wait for my Love to come back to me. And you know what? That's exactly what I plan on doing. :0) I love you, you are my everything. Forever and Always. XOXOXOXO!

Anonymous said...

You two are so much in love and are so dedicated to one another that you can survive anything. You can also do this extension standing on your heads. Your reunion will be that much sweeter. Hopefully you won't ever have to be seperated like this again. Your both in our thoughts and prayers always. We love you both dearly. Keep the faith! It will all be okay!