What do you say to something like that? Honestly...
I already have you curious as to what I am going to talk about don't I? America. One word meaning freedom, and the pursuit of happiness. A goal actually reached by some of the Iraqi men, women, and children. They leave entire families behind in search of this dream, that under Saddam was unthinkable. I want to share a story I heard today from one of the Iraqi guards I work with, his name will not be mentioned, for reasons you all know.
I came to work today, not looking forward to it, as usual. Guard duty is NEVER a fun task. There is some joy found in the conversations with Iraqi guards while manning the gate, however. Their English is broken and trying to understand what they say sometimes is a more difficult task than you would think. Some get by with the most basic of dialogue, and are understandable. The gentleman I refer to now, usually is quite jovial, uplifting all the guards with song...and sometimes even dance. (dancing behind barracades of course - out of sight)
On this day...a somber look invaded his gaze. Their was no happiness in his demeanor, and it is quite easy to notice that he was not himself. I asked him if there was anything wrong. He tells me this...
A man he knows had been in America for twenty years, and came back to help his family. The militia kidnapped him, and posted a ransom of 25,000 dollars. They told the family that if they did not pay, he would be killed. This guard sold everything he had...car, household furniture, clothes...to try to raise this money to save the man he knew.
He found out today that it was all in vain.
The worst had already happened. The man that was his father.
All I could do was put my hand on his shoulder and tell him I was sorry. What do you say to something like that?
20070110
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You did and said exactly what this gentleman needed at that particular moment. You were compassionate enough to notice something wasn't quite right, and asked him about it. He felt comfortable enough with you to share his pain, and being the man that you are, you listened to him, touched his shoulder, and let him know that you cared. Thank goodness you were there so he could ease his burden alittle by sharing his pain with someone he obviously believed truely cared. Thank God you are the loving, caring, compassionate, loyal, and giving man that you are. We are so proud of you!!
Your loving parents always,
Dad and Mom
Shock. Right now I am sitting here sitting here trying to collect my thoughts and what I want to say, but nothing is really coming to my mind at this moment....
(minutes later...)
I'm so glad this compassionate,loving man who wrote about this story is my husband. I love you. I too, am sorry. I'm not sure what else to say at this moment.
Another man might not have shown him compassion...I'm glad you were there for him at that time, and I'm sure he was consoled by your touch, and sorrow for his loss. Your caring and respect of this man's feelings shows me that you are a man of integrity. I'm proud of you.
Love, Mom in law
Post a Comment